top of page

The reward is the view from the top,

but it's the climb that gets you there.                    Marianne @TerraTreks


The Rifugio Dreischusterhütte is a refuge of the Alpine Club of South Tyrol in the Sesto Dolomites (South Tyrol, Italy). It is located at an altitude of 1635 m in the Innerfeld valley.
The history of the Dreischusterhütte goes back to the time before the First World War, when in the years 1911 to 1913 Johann Kerschbaumer and Gottfried Eisendle from Innichen built a first, very simple wooden hut in the Innerfeldtal. This hut was completely destroyed by fire in 1923. Only a year later, Kerschbaumer's son built a two-story building with several bedrooms next to the utility rooms.

In the 1930s the hut changed hands several times. First, the hut was acquired by Dr. Gasser from Bressanone. In 1934, the cottage became the property of the "duca per le Tre Venezie", and the house was transformed into a holiday home.  In 1973, the Alpine Club of South Tyrol acquired the property, demolished the house, which was in poor condition, and built the new hut a little higher up.

Day 7.9 IMG_2123.jpg

Refugio Lagazuoi

It was back in 1965 when Ugo, then manager of a butcher’s shop, and Alda, then a housewife devoted to her young family, decided to leave their quiet country life and build a mountain inn at 2752 m. Following his many summer and winter ascents, Ugo and a group of visionary friends decided to invest in building a new cable car which would take skiers to the longest slopes of the times.  Alda followed her husband with love and sense of duty, contributing with her deep knowledge of local cuisine and her sense of hospitality which were key in the successful management of the Rifugio.

Ugo’s glorious past as “Scoiattolo” and Alpine Guide, his activities in the Alpine Rescue Service, and his love for the mountains played a key role in the family’s decision to continue this adventure in the present day despite the financial and personal sacrifices.

Refugio Lagazoui is built on family tradition.  Guido and Paolo, Ugo and Alda’s sons, as well as their children, have continued to operate Refugio Lagazoui, which is so important in their lives and to the many hikers and skiers who have stood on the deck and felt the awe and wonder of the Dolomites.  Guido and Paolo have come to realize how this magic nest in the heart of the Dolomites could bewitch an Alpinist like Ugo.

Lag Sign Marker image2.jpeg

Fanes Hutte

Day 5 View of Fanes image 1.jpeg

The Fanes Hut was constructed in 1928,  by brothers Fritz, Rudi and Alfred Mutschlechner  who were pioneers in the hut to hut system established in Europe. From the very beginning the hut served as a branch of the Hotel Posta. Soon, however, it became popular among mountaineers and alpine skiers.


Alfred Mutschlechner ran the hut on his own until 1978, when he handed it over to his son Max, today's owner. During his 50 years at the hut, Alfred gave it his very own stamp. In 1938 the building became too small and a spacious dining room and two upper floors were added, as well as a large sun terrace. At the time, in the summer the hut was supplied by "La Mora", a horse and its sleigh. After World War II, Alfred, who was a passionate driver (he received his driving license in 1929 during his military service in the Italian army), purchased a jeep from the American troops. This of course made it much easier to fill the hut's supply base.


Alfred was an innovator and was one of the first to equip the hut with an electric power supply driven by water. In order to be able to open the hut in wintertime, he purchased a combined wheel-chain vehicle from the German army, which was replaced by a snow cat at the beginning of the 60s.


Alfred Mutschlechner was also a pioneer in the hospitality industry. Not only did he provide a cozy, comfortable, environment in the hut, he was also concerned about the safety of alpinists.  Together with others he transformed a small hut from World War I into the "Capanna Monte Castello", which was destroyed by arson in 1962 and was replaced by the "Bivacco della Pace" (Bivouac of Freedom) in 1974.


The realization of the Fanes - Senes - Braies Natural Park increased the number of tourists and caused concern for the environment on the part of the owners who adapted every solution possible to protect the natural surroundings. Alfred was the first to use a vehicle with a catalytic converter for supplying his hut. Today, the motorized sleigh, the snow-cat and the jeep are Euro class 4.  Wherever possible, necessary modifications to the hut are implemented with biological materials. A low-emission system is used for the heating and since 1996 - the year of the renovation, the hut meets the current safety requirements, it is equipped with a solar system and with all modern comforts.  The accommodations at the Fanes Hut truly standout as upscale, especially the private rooms with private baths which are booked for the TerraTreks hike through the Dolomites.

bottom of page